csatblogspotdotcom

Thursday, May 22, 2008

case, link, and file size between ext3 & FAT32

As we all known, it doesn't distinguish between uppercase and lowercase letters in Windows. In effect, I found that it's not because Windows wouldn't support case sensitive, but the FAT32 file system as well as NTFS file system wouldn't become case sensitive. When I copied some files which contain two files with the same name but different cases from a Linux file system to a FAT32 file system, it just let only one file left. In my opinion, when it recognized there was a file named "aaa" in the FAT32 file system it just replaced "aaa" with "AAA" which was recognized as the same as "aaa".(when I cp /usr/include to a FAT32 disk)

I find that when I cp some files from ext3 to FAT32, it usually consumes more storage space than before. After some testing, I make it clear that a single file consumes the same storage space both in ext3 and FAT32.However, as far as the directory is concerned, it consumes different storage space. Specifically, a single empty directory consumes 4K in ext3 while 8K in FAT32(my measurement method is du -sh *). For example, /usr/include is 27M in ext3 while 36M in FAT32.

when I cp /usr/include to my FAT32 disk it said that: cp: cannot create symbolic link `/media/sda5/tmp/include/png.h': Operation not permitted(and some other info like this). Then I added "sudo" before the cp command but it didn't work. At last, I linked manually: ln -s ./* * but it still give error info as before. Thus, the most probable reason must be that FAT32 doesn't support link attributes of ext3 although FAT32 has its own link method. By the way, when logged into Linux, I found that picture.nk in "My Documents/My Pictures" cannot be recognized either.

After I cp /usr/include to FAT32 in Windows using "total commander", I found that a link file became a real file consuming the same storage space as the original file. This shows that "total commander" is a good tool rather than that Windows is better than Linux in this field.

后记:
今天又发现了3种在Windows下访问linux分区的方法:
(参考google出的http://www.howtoforge.com/access-linux-partitions-from-windows)
1. Explore2fs(http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs)
2. DiskInternals Linux Reader(http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/)
3. Ext2 Installable File System For Windows(http://www.fs-driver.org/)
前两种只读,后面一种可读写,不过在安装时也可以设置为只读;
第一种有点像total commander,不过是免费的,而且只显示linux分区;
第二种直接把linux分区映射为Windows下的一个盘符,文件管理器还是用的该软件自带的;
第三种直接安装到windows/system32/中,直接映射为盘符,而且用的是Windows自带的文件管理器,所以对用户来说整个过程都是透明的,在使用linux分区时感觉就像在操作Windows分区一样。


后记2:
Ext2Fsd也是一种Windows下对Linux分区可写的软件

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home